Biotechnology researchers expand the boundaries of science to benefit mankind by providing better healthcare, enhanced agriculture, and a cleaner and safer environment.
The mission of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) is to be the champion of biotechnology and the advocate for its member organizations-both large and small.
Corporate R&D members range from entrepreneurial companies developing a first product to Fortune 100 multinationals. The majority of our members are small companies- 90 percent have annual revenues of $25 million or less, reflecting the broader biotechnology industry. BIO also represents academic centers, state and regional biotech associations and service providers to the industry, including financial and consulting firms.
- R&D-Intensive Companies: 68%. Of those:
- 90% have annual revenues under $25 million
- 5% have annual revenues between $25 million and $1 billion
- 5% have annual revenues over $1 billion
- Nonprofit/Academic: 15%
- Service Providers: 12%
- State/International Affiliate Organizations: 5%
BIO International Convention
BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world's largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
Join more than 15,000 colleagues at the 2011 BIO International Convention, June 27 - 30, 2011 in Washington, DC. A dynamic event where biotechnology innovations are brought to light, partnerships are established and the promise of biotech to Heal, Fuel, Feed The World® is advanced. Take advantage of the unparalleled opportunities including:
- BIO Business Forum powered by One-on-One Partnering™
- BIO Exhibition, featuring 1,700+ exhibitors
- More than 125 Breakout Sessions and Super Sessions
- High-profile Keynote Luncheon events
- Exclusive networking receptions and more!
BIO Links and Blogs
BIO.org | BIOtech Now | Hopes & Cures Blog | Biofuels Blog